Preserved Meyer Lemons
In this recipe we preserve Meyer lemons using a traditional canning method.
Yeilds 4 pounds
- 4 pounds Meyer lemons, cut in half
- 1 cup sea salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper, cracked
- 6 bay leaves, torn
- 1 tablespoon juniper berries, crushed
- 2-3 cups lemon juice (more if needed)
- 1 cup olive oil
- In a large bowl mix the lemons, salt, pepper, bay leaves and juniper berries. Pack the lemons into sanitized mason jars filling them all the way to the top.
- Bring the lemon juice to a gentle simmer and pour into each jar making sure the lemons are submerged in the juice and leaving a ¼ inch space. Fill the remainder of the space with olive oil.
- Follow the USDA home canning guidelines for recommendations for proper home canning procedures. Be sure to use clean and sanitary methods to properly process and seal the jars.
- The lemons will be ready to serve after one month and will last up to a year stored in a cool dark pantry.